Alliance for Urban Agriculture
Our site is currently under construction, please come back soon!
The aim of the MetroAg Alliance is to bring together a wide and culturally diverse range of stakeholders involved in urban agriculture (in and around cities) in North America to share knowledge and best practices, foster linkages externally, and give voice to its advocates and recognition and legitimacy to its activities.
Our principal goals
- To create an alliance bringing together urban agriculture practitioners and supporters across the United States and Canada
- To integrate urban agriculture into the mainstream of public consciousness in North America
- To bridge existing professional, thematic and geographic divides to further urban agriculture
- To generate and share urban agriculture knowledge and best practices
- To be a strong voice for urban agriculture through advocacy, outreach and policy-making
- To promote the idea of metropolitan agriculture as the linking of inner-city growers with farmers on the edge of cities
- To create linkages, particularly with rural agriculture in North American and with urban agriculture in other parts of the world
Our current activities
We are a new organization with ambitious plans for the future. Initially, information creation and sharing over the Internet will be a key MetroAg activity. An interactive digital clearinghouse will be the main focus of our work. Efforts over the next year will ensure that the site is useful to urban agriculture practitioners and advocates. The structure and organization of the MetroAg Alliance in the United States and Canada is now being created concurrently with the digital clearinghouse.
Objectives for the next five years
- MetroAg is known as the “go-to” organization on metropolitan agriculture in North America for practitioners, supporting organizations, researchers and the media.
- MetroAg is facilitating regularly scheduled learning exchanges and training opportunities.
- MetroAg produces and distributes digital and print publications on urban agriculture.